Friday, October 24, 2008

Ode to my lunch

This was written several months ago, but, the sentiment still rings true and I'm sure resonates with many of you:

I'm having my Monday on a Tuesday….Remember that episode of FRIENDS where somebody ate Ross's Thanksgiving sandwich??? Well, this past Sunday, I made my meal for the week, and it's this yummeeee pasta dish with eggplant and turkey sausage and cheese baked in a puff pastry. Very tasty!! So, my morning is kinda crud, but then I say to myself, "Well, at least you get to look forward to a really good lunch", so I decide to visit my lunch that's in the fridge….BUT I CAN'T FIND IT!!!! And I totally have a ROSS moment! I'm looking and looking and looking, and it's not like there's much in the fridge, and I just sound panicked ENOUGH, that when Craig walks in, I demand to know, "DID SOMEONE CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE??!???", because, not only was it my LUNCH, but it was my beloved Rubbermaid container. Craig, who is so sweet, said in a very calm voice, treading lightly, "Ummmmm, you know, yesterday, there was something sitting here (gently places his hand on the counter) at about 9AM and then when I came in at three, someone had moved it to the island (slowly moving to the island, gently placing his hand on the island)". Dan heard the panic, and quickly comes in, and asked what the container looked like and corroborated Craig's version of events. Craig says, "Let's check the dishwasher", which was running, but he opened it anyways, and lo and behold---there was my container….emptied of it tasty contents…..being washed…rid of all the savory goodness that was once in it….At this point, I had a look on my face like I was a little girl who just lost her red balloon that was covered in a tasty spaghetti, turkey sausage, eggplant concoction and was now floating away, probably landing on the grounds of some camp that tended to girls with eating disorders, where a) there'd be a death-match to see who could consume the food and the balloon first or b) it would go completely ignored and unappreciated. Fran comes in, and I still have "the look" on my face, kinda mumbling to myself at this point, "But I could've…I know I put it in…I was standing here and I remember opening the fridge…." , and she's like a grandma, and now all three of them are trying to say kind words to undo, from the look on my face, the DEVASTATION that just took place. And I slowly walk back to my desk and now I gotta go friggin' buy lunch…which is what I was trying to avoid by my making my stupid lunch for the week….

No comments: