Thursday, October 23, 2008

Riding the CTA bus...

Riding the bus everyday has allowed me, and anyone else who rides public transportation on a daily basis, to make this statement, when uttered, that much truer: What the F?!? Though the #36 will always retain its title of the "Circus Bus", it seems like my bus, the #156 , is trying to steal the #36's crown(which, by the way, is made of up tiny particles of "freak" and "crazy", and when the light hits it just right, you can see how the bat sht crazy sparkles).
So, after squeezing on to the bus, and being one with the dashboard, the bus empties out and I finally get a seat. I sit down and look across from me and notice that all the handicapped seats are up. Not, mind you, for some one-legged passenger. Nope. There's a homeless woman on the bus with THREE carts overflowing with her crap. I hadn't really noticed this before. The bus was so crowded and I just kinda saw this mass, but I assumed the mass was PEOPLE. Just mounds and mounds and mounds of sht. Sitting in the one available seat next to the "mountain of destitution" was this rather LARGE woman, who I've seen before. We get off at the same stop, so our stop is coming up and and we both get up. Did I mention she walks with a cane? The cane is about the size of something that you'd hang on a tree, with a hint of peppermint. She gets up and the bus lurches forward. She loses her balance and slides to the floor. She can't lift herself up. So here she is, sitting on the floor, struggling to get up, amongst a landfill. She's b*tching about "lettin' people on with all their crap"…blah blah angry angry….So, I and this other girl, try to help her up. Now, I'm all pro-woman, rah rah, but it ain't happening. This woman is nearing 300-lbs. and the "girl power" is not working. She tells us to "grab her under her arms." Um, that wasn't working EITHERRRRRRRR…..Now, everyone on the bus is watching us struggle. FINALLY, this guy takes my place and gets her up .
Here I thought I'd just have that bus ride home to decompress, listen to my iPOD, zone out…………It was the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of that….

No comments: